Builds & Events
Habitat for Humanity homes are built primarily through volunteer construction labor, which helps keep the cost of the homes affordable for our buyers. Project Directors are Habitat staff while crew leader members are all volunteers.
All individuals and groups interested in volunteering must register through our online system.
Sign up today to help!
Link will take you to our affiliate in a new tab.
We take safety seriously and we ask all volunteers to read our safety guidelines prior to working on the job site.
every Faith Build puts your faith into action
Be a part of an exciting and transforming experience as we build strength, stability, self-reliance and shelter in our community. Faith Build is a partnership between Habitat for Humanity of Northern Fox Valley, local churches, and businesses, and helps homeowners achieve the independence they need to build a better life for themselves and their families.
Churches and faith groups are invited to participate in Faith Build through prayer, volunteerism, and financial support. We also invite churches join one of four faith-based partnerships!
On an annual basis we come together to make a difference through our Faith Build event in one of our local communities.
Check back for upcoming information about our next Faith Build event in fall of 2024!
Faith Build gives church members a concrete way to put their faith into action and see tangible results. It also:
- Builds community within your congregation
- Empowers members to serve others in the community
Here are some ideas for putting faith into action:
- Lift the Faith Build event up in prayer; pray for all persons in need of housing
- Make a financial gift
- Use Habitat peer-to-peer fundraising platform to invite friends, neighbors & family to support you as a build-team participant
VOLUNTEER ON SITE
- Spend a day working. Activities may include framing, flooring, painting, trimming, siding, dry wall, landscaping and more!
- Provide breakfast, lunch, drinks or snacks for those who are building
- Please Note: No construction experience required. Volunteers must be at least 16 years of age and a parent/guardian must serve with their children who are minors
VOLUNTEER OFF SITE
- Make a financial gift
- Secure sponsorships from a local businesses
- Serve as liaison between your church and Habitat for Humanity
- Promote your church’s Build Day through social media, bulletins, newsletters, etc.
Join a community of women volunteering together to celebrate our strengths, have a blast and build permanent and affordable homes for dynamic, woman-led families.
What is Women Build?
Women Build is a month-long fundraising effort where teams of women come together to help build homes for other women. The event provides the opportunity to take a proactive step in serving our community in a tangible way. It is a terrific way to involve your friends and family in crucial work with lasting impact in a collaborative and friendly environment.
Build your own team of friends & family, or arrange corporate sponsorship through your employer.
There is no construction experience necessary. You will be working under the direct supervision of trained Habitat for Humanity Crew Leaders. All that is necessary is a willingness to listen, learn, and get the job done!
Women Build is a terrific way to involve your friends and family in crucial work with a lasting impact. Women helping women sends a positive and powerful message.
Why Women Build Matters
Achieving housing stability is far more difficult for women to realize than for men in similar situations. Here are just three reasons why:
- Men earn more on average than women, resulting in access to higher credit, better loans and better-quality homes and neighborhoods
- Caregiving responsibilities often limit a woman’s ability to dedicate the necessary time to obtaining and maintaining consistent employment and decent housing
- Single women are denied mortgages at higher rates than single men despite the fact women are more reliable at paying back mortgages
How Women Build Works
- Hundreds of women come together to advance construction of homes that will be owned by women, right alongside the future owners
- In the months leading up to the event, these women raise money to help fund construction of the homes
- Each Women Builder commits to building with her team for one full day of the event and raising a minimum to participate
There are two ways women can participate:
As a Team Leader, you:
- Commit to fundraising the minimum and building one day of the event
- Recruit 9 women to build and fundraise alongside you
- Motivate your team members every step of the way to ensure each hits her fundraising minimum and has a whole lot of fun in the process
- Coordinate with your team to get them registered and ready to build
As an Individual, you:
- Commit to fundraising the a minimum of $350 and building one day of the event alongside your team
If you are interested in joining us or have questions,
please call 847-836-1432 x116
every helping hand makes a difference
While the vast majority of Americans feel stable and secure in their current situation, housing insecurity touches nearly half of adults at some point in their lives. More than half of all adults say they have made at least one trade-off in order to cover their rent or mortgage. Such trade-offs may include taking second jobs, cutting back on health care and healthy food, and moving to less safe neighborhoods.
Through your support, families in your community and around the world partner with Habitat for Humanity to build strength, stability, and independence they need for a better future. Your financial support, your time, or your voice help to create a world where everyone has a safe place to build a future!
Celebrate * Sing * Give
Embrace the holiday spirit at a community sing-along of sections from Handel’s renowned Messiah! This event makes you a participant in our audience choir, accompanied by the extraordinary talent of Elgin area musicians and vocalists, and raises needed funding for Habitat for Humanity of Northern Fox Valley. No musical experience is necessary, so gather your friends and join us in celebrating, singing, and giving on Friday, Dec. 1, 2023, at 6:30 p.m., at the Blizzard Theater at Elgin Community College.
If you are unable to attend but wish to contribute, donations are gratefully accepted.